Re: [CBQ] Re: Alaska-Copper River and Northwestern

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Alaska-Copper River and Northwestern
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 11:18:53 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1341415139; bh=tpWgQsj8GBQqdsduhQlIivkFTI3JX+aN5m/2VAb/Vrs=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=MWfVBPTh6THg/oeyX8jTGEdjNlNHIp+mVGAKQ7gcIaaegA2+ClUdePxgGfUtCBQRUgbIEXZFZZVuNnCcCYGsJkWrCzZ4lkOWG+e0aXZaMhBfiP3QlYCMsyJrmO+RANWq
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Here's the information I found on the Copper River and Northwestern. My source is
"The White Pass" by Roy Minter,University of Alaska Press 1988.
I bought this book in Skagway and completed it after returning home. In the epilogue the author states that ...........

M.J. Heney, who had been one of the major driving forces in building the White Pass,if not the largest,by chance in 1905 read a report of RR undertaking at Valdez backed by the Morgan and Guggenheim interest to reach copper claims. He surveyed a route on his own,met with and showed the Guggenheims that their Valdez/Katalla route was a bad one but they rejected his offer. They tried their route and gave it up and bought Heneys Copper River route survey for $250k and hired him as the contractor to build the 131 mile route from Cordova to Chitina with a 65 mile branch to a Kennecott coal discovery.

There is no mention of any other RRs supporting the project.

Another great book I bought in Skagway and finished reading is "The Klondike Fever" by Pierre Berton,1958. He actually grew up in Dawson.

Leo Phillipp