Re: [CBQ] Re: Alaska

To: "CBQ List" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Alaska
From: "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 17:17:48 +1200
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1340774264; bh=Qih0Yy35PhkOsNN7Lj7LcDzOhRszABrBJt63pA8JmTw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Cloudmark-SP-Filtered:X-Cloudmark-SP-Result:X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered:X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result:X-IronPort-AV:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=j10XGCbllXq7uvr84e8yRCoxFRM2rSdTqhDWd9CyKVaIJYCLm4NUTcHE/pZ/E2J4XDCW20747XsJID7mJ64TR8ZEXuTzEpnPoG2wG+umVBQNaEActi1r46SRDD4Bbx0H
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Gents

My wife and I flew up to Fairbanks in 2002, then took the Alaska RR down to Anchorage (in an ex-SP dome car I think), and later on to Seward for our Inland Passage cruise to Vancouver, with stops at 5 or 6 Alaskan ports.  Whilst my wife went whale watching, I took the WP&Y trip and, as I say, a brilliant trip. I also found my copy of Corbin's "Steam Locos" in a book shop in Juneau.  Coincidently, the model sold in the shops of the WP&Y diesels was made in NZ.

As regards the Burlington connection, I have a vague memory that the Burlington had been directly involved with a railway in Alaska (and not the Alaska RR) but can't think of the detail at the moment.  There was also a query in 2002 on this List about CB&Q/NP tour packages which included Alaska.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ