[CBQ] re: The Tragedy at the Loomis Street Crossing

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] re: The Tragedy at the Loomis Street Crossing
From: Scott Wessely <noisemaker383@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:17:11 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1339463837; bh=Orqgyy2knpwXYs3b2+hpoUvF2nPlTkGb8pj6139rFwc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Oe65lXCz6FsbzHf4t8EDvbzignHL2eHp9CXRz3ZB1yP9lME7cPIj7CmaY1igGvXvfr+ab1LwoYicxpwhF8+Uc/OfTpY3PWkX3Qki2i8N/Hf/t0fsVsKayW0tXDGDkfdQ
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have been a member of this group for a few years now with very little
interaction but this has struck a cord with me and my profession.

As someone in the fire protection industry and having to study disasters of all
types in school, I was told there is a "Rule of Three".

It takes normally three like instances before codes and/or construction methods
are changed.

Codes are minimum standards to follow and that's it, minimum.  The issue is
safety costs money.  The big question that I get day to day, is how can I lower
the price for this system?  My only response that I have to combat this is, you
want a design for a cheap fire?

However, the sad point is the loss of life, the ensuing tragedy for years of
injunctions, trials and media coverage.  By the time the trials and media
coverage is over the victims and their families are forgotten and to some point
destroyed or torn apart because of the trials and media coverage.

Now getting back to my point (sorry for the rant, had to have been channeling
Denis Leary and Dennis Miller) AMTRAK will not likely do anything until they
get pressured from the government or codes change.

Again the "Rule of Three".

Regards,
SJW

Sent from my ASUS Eee Pad