[CBQ] Ottumwa, Ia Market St. Crossing Guard House

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Ottumwa, Ia Market St. Crossing Guard House
From: "burlington9900" <wabash1020@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 20:31:49 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1337200316; bh=wzlkObdJMRo29cBWIsoyd0tkhy9lhej981ZmsZ7ytNQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=fGmS9XQcwwpOpB3B5Lu0emOmyDZvgKM1Z5BaQuTEbFTo6mMtUU+lWKJFZVOxisLLH3FSwp23hR64TL6mAhn2wDvYF4BCP3np1Dc+u05D67lD5F8B8C/ukruuUuhp8KbC
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Does anyone have any information as to who owned and maintained the shanty that
the grade crossing guard stayed in between trains.   A picture of it can be
seen on page 71 of Chicago, Burlington & Quincy In Color Volume 3 by Michael
Spoor.

I am looking for dimensions, was there a coal box behind it and it's size, etc.

I remember it was placed between the East and West bound Q mains, There was a
signal gantry behind it with several signal relay boxes, I assume.  I also
remember in talking with the crossing guard that he also controlled the Green
St wigwags by a knife switch on the wall above a window facing the West Bound
main.  I remember little else and was gone to the US Navy when it was removed
and replaced by crossing gates.  All traces of the shanty, relay boxes, and
signals are gone as is the CMStP&P, CRI&P tracks, crossover between then and
connection to the Q.

Thanks for any help,

Stephen Miller

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com