[CBQ] REVIEW: 1935 CB&Q "Renascence" Zephyr portrait by ProtoTrains

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] REVIEW: 1935 CB&Q "Renascence" Zephyr portrait by ProtoTrains
From: "Lee" <litehousekeeper@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 15:40:48 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1336491656; bh=7g2/gWuHRf9rK5lWmcaTEr57CZ+IO4zH2dacrGjj878=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=J4T2hqXdgxwIAwQnoghKGHmaqCdHqXDiFE1TkCa+0uw8+QraQPjTltgZeKzA1ceOhvI+Eap73iHWkqnjJW8IRTy0zlqv+bKTNGFJ04cjLFv+k3glFoloDK9wZ/W0OYi+
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Last evening I received a remarkably beautiful print of the Burlington Zephyr.
"Renascence" as it was titled, was originally created for the Burlington Route
by famed WPA muralist Otto Hake in 1934, the year of the Zephyr's debut.  The
painting was commissioned by the CB&Q and served as the 1935 corporate calendar
top.

Though the image is likely recognizable to most all of you, original calendars,
like most railroad art of the day, are quite rare and command top dollar.
ProtoTrains made a limited run of reproduction prints ~ I received mine
yesterday and must say, the artwork is nothing short of exceptional.  The
website describes the reproduction process in detail ~ a well-preserved
original copy was scanned at 600 dpi and posters printed w/UV-resistant ink on
100-lb acid-free matte poster paper.  The print is full-scale 23x22-inches plus
a 2-inch border for matting.  Mine arrived in fine shape ~ was loosely rolled
within with thick plastic sleeving and packaged in a cardboard box.

I'll be framing mine later this month for the office and expect that the only
discernable difference between the print and original will the updated printer
text in the bottom left corner.

A faithful reproduction of timeless art, I highly recommend this print.

http://www.prototrains.com/renascence/renascence.html

I've no affiliation w/ProtoTrains ~ merely delighted by what I received in
yesterday's mail.

Lee Edgar
Falls Church, VA

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com