[CBQ] First Trip Set Up

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] First Trip Set Up
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 00:28:41 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1334377729; bh=3bEeKQt2UkBa7sIRKQHKIEp+e0hfDT/Z4gO7YCLT2bA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=cIvv37LC+C6pVeaowHnqfwK9MmZhPsb2+VGkCgkQGok9zH0Kg6u+mqWW3sykfDZZoUR9KgNOpfwwMj4/U+n+4R3oAwVa8iF/9OJMvshFes58c27C+YD+QVQs50dZYIFi
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Pete is right,memories are made from the unusual and pain of the moment and they mellow over time.

I was at a layout operating session last night (Thurs). In attendance were some of the usual characters, a retired C&NW loco engineer, a current BNSf Condr w/over 40 years of service that I worked with back in the day and a few others who are w/o RR operating experience. This layout is designed for locals and switching.  As usual for some of us the talking was about other things while the "educated hand" took care of the layout work talk and directions. Suddenly the old head Condr said "I sure wish he'd put some signs on these buildings so we could figure out where the cars go". While many layouts have buildings signs or tags between the rails to identify customers that's often not the case in the full size RR. I kept my mouth shut and while driving home the memories came pouring back.

First the disclaimer. just so you know upfront this is a BN story but with  many references to the Q. It will be helpful to have a Q map of the Aurora Div.,(any of the maps in the inside cover of any of the usual Q books will work) so you can follow along.

It was early on a Sunday afternoon in the early Spring of '77 and I was expecting a call for my brakemans spot on a C&I pool turn to get out. So when the phone rang the crew caller fooled me when he said "your called for Condr on 11643/11638". After acceping the call, I asked who the brakemen and Engineer were this trip. The answer should have made me mark off right then and there. Two extra brakeman with less than 6 months seniority combined between them and an extra board engineer. I should have known something was way wrong if the entire regular crew had marked off. But I was somewhat stuck as I had answered the phone and this was my first run set up as a Condr. To turn it down would have ensured a visit to the either the Trainmaster or Asst Supt office or worse yet the possibility that I had just given up my promotion(chucked my rights).

11643 was the local "around the horn" Mendota,IL to Savanna which made it the last remnant of 69/64(a future article) and then it came back the next day Savanna to Eola via Oregon as the ghost of the Qs old Oregon,Chadwick or Savanna turns of bygone eras(another someday article).Now I had worked this job two or three times off the brakemans extra board so the basic plan was familiar but I was still wondering why the entire regular crew marked off.  So when I learned at Eola that our outbound train was 2 cars and a w/c some of trepidation went away. That is until Mendota because when the yard engine got done with our train we now had 25 shorts for the branch(the maximum limit allowed for the single GP7 pulling us along).  Now I knew why all the regular crew marked off ! Dragging 25 cars over such infamous branch landmarks as the "Pump Handle",Ohio and Walnut hills was going to make for an interesting day.

As we came out of the west end of Mendota yard and by the depot the waybills and branch running orders were hooped up to me on the back step of the w/c. I had put both newby brakeman up front for the first short work at La Moille. I had to line the two mainline x/os and the branch switch back. But in my haste I managed to drop the waybills out of my overall jacket pocket so when we were in the clear I walked back and found them while hoping a mainline hot shot didn't barrell down on me.We had 3 cars of Fertz for Swift at La Moille. Except the guys on the head couldn't find Swift when we got to town. So after searching around a bit we figured it out by walking around the front of some buildings and found the Swift sign. Great, now all we have to do is drop 300 plus tons of Ferts into a facing point, dead end, stub spur w/o them going off the end. Taking the safe course I decided we would cut off the engine and the three loads from the train on the main,pull up and shove into the passing track,then "drop" the bled out hoppers onto the main and run the engine into the stub track at least guaranteeing it would stop in time. This move worked as planned and we soon had control of the ferts cars on the west end of the engine and spotted them w/o further difficulty.

Next it was off to Van Orin and then it was either Ohio or Walnut where we had to drop loads of lumber into GBH Way homes,again into a dead end stub spur but we got that done w/o incident. Next there were two tanks of Urea to be spotted at an industry up town but of course a company name was not on any building or tank in town so ......... using a little logic I walked around the back tracks until I found hoses laying near the tracks that lead to holding tanks........this must be the place and ordered the tanks spotted there.

We went on doing station work and ate at Prophetstown before going on to Denrock and Savanna tying up about 10 hours after going on duty.

Next morning the call came for the return trip. At the yard I learned we again had the maximum 25 car train with station work at every town on the old CB&N/C&I between Savanna and Aurora except Steward and Sugar Grove. Looked like a tow in job for sure. We dodged between all the thru traffic and managed to get to Rochelle in reasonbly good time where among other things we picked up a box car of salt for Big Rock that had already been run past there twice. We ate at Shabbona while waiting for traffic and moved on to Waterman where your's truly made a drop off the hill into the FS stub with a load of ferts. Sound easy ? It was a facing point switch so we simply ran the engine by,checked the cars hand brake,bled it off and let it roll forward.......somehow I not only got it stopped in time but also right over the unloading auger as if I knew what I was doing ! Engineer Roger Howard was so impressed I got a whistle salute.

By this time light was fading fast and next work was 7 more cars of fertz for the FS plant east of Hinckley. Now usually the crew would set the cars on the pass downtown,run around them and shove one ot two to spot and drag the rest back to the pass and head east on the main. I knew we didnt have time for all that and decided to try and drop all 7 into the facing point spur. Well we made our plan and executed it well except I didnt take into consideration the drag of 7 loads over the big mainline frog. As the cars slowly crept into the spur but at a rapidly decelarating rate I pictured myself at the investigation trying to explain how I managed to get the engine blocked on the mainline and tied up the entire BN between Savanna and Aurora until someone could come along and shove the cars in the clear. Then it dawned on me that some old fashion shoulder blocking just might keep the cars rolling enough to clear the mainline switch and so I found myself acting like a football tackle pushing a blocking sled. It was working and quickly the two brakeman pitched in and the cars cleared the main to my relief.

At this point we let the DS know we had under an hour to go with work at Big Rock. Roger made it clear he didnt want to ride in a cab from Big Rock to Eola. The DS came back advising to run the work at Big Rock anf go straight to Eola. That poor load of salt went right on by the elevator for the third time. We tied up just under the hog law and went home. Next day I was walking into the crew callers office at the Aurora depot when one of the regular brakeman on 11638,Bob Twait,came out on his way to work. I told him we had some trouble trying to find the spots for some cars and he advised"don't worry, we'll clean up your mess".

Won't ever forget that first set up trip............

Leo Phillipp