RE: [CBQ] New member w/question

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] New member w/question
From: Ray Bedard <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 11:57:28 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1334257050; bh=u3msCuK5qwXx5Wsw75XR0N/WHlknMtJOZWLKerVWxvU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=CbG098fz4vhN7UPnmcUHyP7Hg6TAvpxTqhiPDIXyBvCO71vaXsGsQR6nqHwTw+De4m5t7LqhosxVNER2sXXVpX6D4t1T4N79lG1LwtEwrisPCMF9m1czISRQtsJjTPpd
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Jack,

Welcome aboard! As for the engine you have questioned, it is an INSPECTION engine. The Burlington and other RR's needed a way to inspect the track as well as other parts of the roadbed; bridges, structures, etc. So various versions of adding a "passenger compartment" to the engine, made it a lot easier for management and  track crews to inspect various aspects of the roadbed.

As for other photos, check out Castle Graphics as they have a ton of photos of trains, specifically, look at:  http://transport.castlegraphics.com/index.php?cat=7

This specific web page at Castle Graphics has photos of all the Burlington class steam engines. Open the page titled "American 4-4-0" and you will find other inspection engines with a "passenger compartment" mounted on the front of the engine. Be sure to look at page 2 for a different style of enclosure from the one on page 1. Also, engine 475 is pictured on page 2.

Ray
San Jose CA