[CBQ] The Colorado Curmudgeon Speaks

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] The Colorado Curmudgeon Speaks
From: james sandrin <jamessandrin@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:25:23 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1333135525; bh=gX/Z3k/2ABLqUHiJdLj2gOrChbn9gsp4qijPNcGiuPk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=VwsybDcTVkLxAB65PEzx2iKoHkTvK76PYaqNzJNU2NE2sAZyy8q8gMJUMvjL5TDKh5p6xOkhRBdf0ss7XmIhasy7abedZIrBBGEKNbYScbLVgO+XA1RhCA/YnYCDloi/
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I can normally let the e-message flood pass without comment but today's batch requires a token response.

The "Campaign Poster" causes one to ponder just what the sender is thinking.  As a refresher, this site deals with our joint interest in things related to the Burlington Railroad.  Granted this may be an odd focus for alledged adults to follow the history of a company now gone, at least on paper, 42-years.  Given the state of 21st century railroading, that was indeed the good old days in spite of plant rationalizing, impending mergers, deferred maintenance and train-off petitions.  I marvel at my good luck to spend Sunday March 1, 1970 track side recording what I could of the Q on film. So, concerning the "Poster", you have the privilege  of watching the end of the Empire. Get used to it and keep your outrage to yourself.

I knew that Al Holck was working on Volume 3.  My hope is that Four Ways can get their act together concerning color quality.  Their last couple GN books were not something I'd include in my resume'.  After half a century of photography and two decades working for a commercial printer, I have some experience here.  There is still an audience for well done half-tones if they provide the needed coverage.  Color for its own sake is just more "noisy, shiney crap" that has become the new standard for publishing.  Happy Trails.  Jim Sandrin