[CBQ] RE: CB&Q in Montana

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] RE: CB&Q in Montana
From: thompsonpe@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 07:50:07 -0500 (EST)
Cc: thompsonpe@aol.com
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1327841811; bh=Q+BgryUe9Rd93cWxQHbIVr8g/JqwlGdb8jo6Ze9bMeQ=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:Received:Received:Received:DKIM-Signature:Received:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Cc:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-eGroups-Approved-By:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=JCN0nFqkqme8ZpjJ3GL3IjTh69qoftnVTCThFWT6FDGHAi/NMBTSgHxknrrat6ZfugKuX22ot95JNAj1NQx2PygPDMMDEBmLJ8kB+e/2w7IbrFXPXLJHvth1wllB87m3
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1327841810; bh=MnujS5dT+0S3Loy2lqhksmeIYvaoMhURNhaaQYE/QWo=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:Date:To:Cc:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Mailer:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-YGroups-SubInfo:Sender:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth; b=f7ekGvDxY2+KUY1B2B5bkQ495GOcrR067rSOpSeMIRhydOlf7DnYaUc89PwZTiadfsg+ROP75eQ6J0O5u0MPgIqnzax6UTjg1VpHa4pKQVBzXva6mLn06pJQz7a4oeTr
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Good morning,

I have created a folder in the files section that shows a progressive project file as it moves through the research process. I am aware this location has no CB&Q interest but as the Q had some key involvement in Montana and as we are about to start looking at the Q locations, I thought this test project might demonstrate the way we do things and give some idea of what the final project might look like. The 3 files represent the progress to date and when looking at the list of additional items to be added you will get the picture of what we try to produce for any project we do.

The group I work with try to make sure all of our research documents are backed up in digital format. For the most common items like ETT's and such this is easy and poses no problems. For the large station plats, maps and engineering documents it's clearly a lot more difficult to do. In simple terms we scan documents that can be 46 inches wide and 40 feet long. They are eventually placed as back up files in tiff format. The largest one we have is 1.6 GB's. In a lot of cases we have a number of these large documents covering various parts of the bigger places and often documents from a number of different dates. So having backed up the documents we can now take from the files different parts of a number of the documents and build up a bespoke document for the research project.

None of this is rocket science but the kit and skills needed for this is to say the least demanding and expensive. As our objectives are preservation and quality bespoke documents to enhance our research projects we think the effort is worthwhile. It may be no one is very interested in this, but if anyone is it will serve as something for them to think about and it might even bring some enjoyment.

Enjoy your Sunday,

Peter E Thompson.