RE: [CBQ] Depot Paint Colors

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Depot Paint Colors
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:50:56 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1327603860; bh=UxZbva0Ed4h4uxmCSS5ndLcRJIKTwmkSPkIM/2Dzhso=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:In-Reply-To:Importance:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=au6x1rK7clLU1gwrHRJFufN8AdGKMaGZuI/wnTZGmCGbYscvQFS/nvMySNRvuslRULGUtQ4V59MGGuTvlI5U9ilstIruT7CYNAcKw2JcqybDpzSmO4ogSKJgheD9jxF0
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The files section gives Modelflex Dark Tuscan Oxide Red and Maroon Tuscan
Oxide Red as options, however these colors are very different from each
other and neither is close to the depot paint chips I've collected. Dark
Tuscan Oxide Red is too brown and Maroon Tuscan Oxide Red is too purple. The
closest Poly Scale color match is Special Oxide Red, but it's a little too
brown. I mix my depot color to match several paint chips harvested from the
depot in Winfield, IA last summer. The depot has not been repainted in many
years, and the paint is cracked and peeling. There are no observable layers,
so I believe this paint is as close to authentic as we will come to Indian
Red. My custom mix using Poly Scale is:

5 parts Zinc Chromate Primer
2 parts ATSF Red
2 parts Special Oxide Red

As for Bronze Green, I haven't found a good color match yet. The files
section recommends Modelflex Euro Dark Green. Poly Scale Dark Green is an
alternative. Neither of these paints are 'bronze' enough. The Q trip paint
tended to darken and appear almost Pullman Green, whatever color that is :)
I used Modelflex Euro Dark Green on the on only depot I've painted so far.

Your color choice will depend upon whether you want to model fresh paint,
weathered paint, or really faded and weathered paint. Most of the preserved
depots have been repainted in paint colors that are close, but not exact
matches to the originals, so matching to old chips gives a pretty good
indication of what the depots looked like in the 1950's. I took the Winfield
chips from the North wall under the eves, and at other locations around the
building. There was little discernable difference between the chips
regardless of where they were collected. The Winfield depot was used for
years as a storage shed for a feed dealer, but there is little evidence that
it has been used recently.

Having said all this, the light temperature greatly affects color
interpretation. I matched the paint chips in noon sunlight and checked the
match under Reveal tungsten bulbs. Your impressions may vary.

As for the white paint, I think that started in the 1960s, but others can
chime in with the details.

Nelson Moyer
Iowa City