RE: [CBQ] Speeds of M4 and M4a Colorados?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Speeds of M4 and M4a Colorados?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 15:29:11 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1324330154; bh=bCzzGZwydpOK+NlfNZFMb3UE4NMthh7dbxJsJJoCt3s=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:References:In-Reply-To:Message-ID:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=RT2eB/m21ojQlaYh6OJeT1DILjMruoqO6zxkaFMpvKw7aRv67qVoURU0weZ+JoEpeuScXuW18TLpxSTh7p7fMpLQOJ4+N0L6LRJ/8TONdJLSfVZOlJavlOm2Fqudjatl
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I don’t have any of my research material handy so can’t quote chapter and verse, but it is my understanding that the M4s were quite versatile machines after they were rebuilt.

I witnessed firsthand he 6315, while it broke an eccentric later which didn’t have anything to do with the speed, roaring by Brookfield double headed with the 5632 on the famous fan trip at speed….I would guess pushing 60 but maybe somebody on the list can give a more accurate account.   They were definitely mainline manifest locomotives after rebuilding….maybe not superpower like the C&O 2-10-4s or NKP/C&O/PM 2-8-4s, but a respectable machine which gave the CB&Q its money’s worth even after they decided to change it’s role.

Charlie Vlk

I was reading up on the Colorado type locomotives, and read that the cylinder bore was changed and other modifications done to allow them to run at higher speeds. Does anyone here know at what speeds the original and the rebuilt engines were cleared to run? Were these "kidney pounders" like many of the other 10-coupled locomotives?

Kevin Perez