[CBQ] re: drop steps on Diesels

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] re: drop steps on Diesels
From: ANDREW KOETZ <andrewkoetz@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 00:12:03 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1323497526; bh=A1/MVl8Htrn+awhqn8qurH4+EDM7uuBnUsMocBmPpL8=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=h7DZl/GODRvd5TXMev2edgCbDin5a7gmt1paQbTvDeCR5y4XI0QQAIIRotfN3lhKLVyUhUonne2dNmuLApvVFYSbTz+Hh8lnNkF3Uj0pd+FKwZ2yWrXVKR19hB1dROGe
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I know this is an old post; but please bear with me. Not to get to far "off topic", but somewhat "on topic", but the DM&IR had ordered their SD38s and their SD38-2s with snowplows. Unknown on the reasoning, but their shop forces would remove the plows in the spring, and put them back on in the winter. This went on for a few years. Then the DM&IR stopped the cycle of re-installing, and re-moving the snowplows. I am aware that this is an old posting. Just trying to get things cleaned out of the inbox.

Drop Steps On Diesels

Posted by: "robert" brjr51@yahoo.com   brjr51 said:

Tue Aug 9, 2011 1:09 pm (PDT)

List,
After perusing the marvelous new Bulletin on CB&Q SD's, it became quite apparent that the Q had their diesels delivered from EMD with drop steps and chains on the ends, but shortly thereafter removed the drop steps and then the handrail chains from the ends. It appears this practice was undertaken around the mid '50's on the SD-7's and 9's.( I also believe this to be true with the GP's.) I assume this was for safety reasons, i.e. not wanting crewmen to walk between moving units. Since the Q was known to be frugal, why would they continue to have drop steps and chains installed on the SD-24's, (along with at least the GP-20's, 30's)only to remove them shortly after the units went into service.?
I'll assume these were "standard" appliances on EMD loco's, but one would think they could have saved a few bucks by having EMD delete them.

Bob Runty