[CBQ] Re: Wood Switch engine footboards

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Wood Switch engine footboards
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 08:37:13 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1322836639; bh=Fj45vPVDGbRrB03N2QgA7eaPt1WUQwN6STHhmBx/r8E=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:To:References:Message-Id:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=AVkmyHaZjdh0u0gw7jfVo2neIgP2NJy1KMxSqvkS1bgB6M25FRODs/Co/FvX7l6Kal8E077yw+pr1VpiL/sF2X9wC6xWQXBnjlZbaXELHEoVKMP5nVtS34c2uRGFZ9D6
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Leo,

I suspect that the use of wood footboards is a carryover from steam days. Many steam switching locomotives had wood footboards. (Keep in mind that a lot of pilots were also wood in earlier steam days.) The wood foot boards were, most likely, oak for strength and were likely rough sawn. As you note, they were inexpensive and could be made and applied in almost any maintenance facility. I am sure that footboards were frequently damaged because of their location. Straightening out or replacing steel footboards was more difficult and expensive and may have required more elaborating tools. As for being slippery, actually wood isn't the worst surface. Wet steel is far more slippery even with some tread surfaces. Knowing how frugal the Q was, wood was the product that made the most sense.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO