RE: [CBQ] Accuracy of P2k "blackbird" grey?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Accuracy of P2k "blackbird" grey?
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 21:36:51 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1320809749; bh=0pbrOYktdW9xqxVIuDUaz1wHuiR3JO1AQSaSfgX6ppQ=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:Importance:Thread-Index:In-Reply-To:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=eDheSlPvl8ukDgi4W7Fa323atzZPwRlmpXxcdz/YlvjY8ct5hMOUbA+kqwelYmf9cfHOkUCgje2gB7gAloE5oLgCZW3RYqxVpfgn9EMd5G8ZyLdlkv/dXWcDbsZtjU0W
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John,

I just bought an old P2K GP-7 and SD-7 at an estate sale, and yes, the GP-7
is too dark and the SD-7 is too light. The new P2K SW9/1200 is too dark and
has a bluish hue. Walthers seems to change the gray with each release, and
they haven't gotten it right yet. The best factory blackbird gray I've seen
is on the Stewart/Bowser VO-1000. It's almost a perfect match to Model Flex
CB&Q Gray, which I understand was matched from Q paint chips. I'm going to
mask the tops of my GP-7, SD-7, and SW-9/1200 and paint them with Model Flex
CB&Q Gray. That's a lot of work and inconvenience, but at least my fleet
will have some authenticity and uniformity, and that's something Walthers
can't seem to master. A little weathering will hide slight color mismatches,
but the Walthers colors are so far off and so far apart that not even heavy
weathering would make them look right. Unless I can see a Q model before
purchasing (not likely in this advance purchase environment), I buy
unpainted and undecorated models to paint and decal them using a color
scheme that gives the fleet a company look.

Nelson