[CBQ] Re: New Images - Your help please

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: New Images - Your help please
From: "mdeckergwtcnet" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:54:26 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1319385267; bh=b/YRC8Vo+y1ZgdaBgyUMAVt6yfRRLE78jgXZP7Vm1/4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=TTGukV4x1ZJjCELFyctf5Qvy3Rs4nmmXKt6jy8nk1ZdWoWe1emKdZywW/Wg3ra3J+n14lLpUhiXCOwadxWRMoMAGBWtqnFLQyCcFNw2vrFDvN8ml4NOZjz+Bg9kgpx7n
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@...> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've just uploaded 4 new images to the Yahoo! Photo Album > The next three
> images are of an interesting medal sent to the BRHS to help
> identify.  The obvious is that it was awarded to Hiram C. Washburne, who was
> an 1865 CB&Q Engineer who was "First in his class for Superior Management of
> Coal Burner."  What makes this piece interesting, is that it uses the name
> "Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Rail Road Company," which was only 9 years
> old, however, the task of replacing wood -burning locomotives with
> coal-burning was almost complete; with only 9 wood-burners left out of 105
> locomotives on the railroad.  If anyone has any further information on this
> Civil War era medal, please share it with the list and Stacey Babiarz, the
> owner, who is cc'd to this email.
>
> Thanks all for your help!!
>
> Dave Lotz
> Pooler, GA

Hi Dave......

The medal looks like the Civil War equivilent of my BN "Ace Hoghead" T-shirt
that I got in KC at re-cert class for being best in my class at running their
giant Atari game :>) It would have been a really big deal for the guy who won
it. Mr. Washburne probably shoveled the least amount of coal in some kind of
"graduation" test for promotion to Engineer.

The medal looks like something that you'd hang on your watch chain, like the
gold Sovereign I wear on mine.  It's most modern incarnation is probably the
"Fuel MVP" gas card that I have....even though they keep threatining me with
discipline every couple months for "horsepower compliance failure" LOL

Best,
Mike Decker, Edgemont

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com