RE: [CBQ] Nelson's Scratchbuilt Car Models

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Nelson's Scratchbuilt Car Models
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 15:30:19 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1316118581; bh=g7ZX6RP2EVPX83t/lmBWPxpGd6EmXETO0RNwPFrOvhw=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:In-Reply-To:Thread-Index:Importance:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=I9cGlXJc7QC9PPfwknFJj0u2ThgjaS4mAODwJEBC7zBL8Be1BhOnK5wG+ajOEPgsTSW3pq5CkFCSyJpNZmPBL/pk6YH0jwQRoJIoUQ/bq8PTmrkr3+7oQffXRzDM6kOi
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
All of the models are HO scale. I drew plans for BA-19A from Burlington
Bulletin No.36 and plans for XB-1 and BH-1 from Burlington Bulletin No. 25.
I took a few photos during construction, and I may eventually submit
articles on these cars with plans and construction description, starting
with the barrel car, since I took more photos of it than the others.

I built a BA-19 painted in SSS, drew the artwork for shadowline decals,
printed the artwork on an inkjet photo printer, and I just clear coated the
decals today. I'll post photos of that car when it's finished. I installed
piping, but not brake linkages, since I couldn't find drawings of the brake
detail on the Havelock economy baggage cars. The two BA-19 cars don't have
piping.

XB-1 was built entirely of wood using Northeastern scale stripwood and board
by board construction. This barrel car was rebuilt in 1907 from a 50 ft.
stock car intended for express horse service. It was retired in 1920.

BH-1 was built from Evergreen styrene sheet and strips, with cast metal
baggage car ends scavenged from a very old Walthers kit, and the clerestory
roof was from Northeastern. The window screen is 400 mesh stainless steel,
and you can see through it with back lighting. The queenposts are metal
castings from KitBits. The horse car was rebuilt in 1014-15 from a 60 ft.
baggage car. It was converted back into a baggage car in the mid-1930s and
it was retired in 1946.

BA-19A cars are identical except that one was made using Evergreen styrene
sheet and strips, and the other car was made using Northeastern sheet,
strips and roof material. The roof for the styrene car is from Passenger Car
Works, and the car ends of both cars are from Passenger Car Works. The
diaphragms and battery boxes are from Branchline Trains, and the air tanks
and generators were scratchbuilt using dimensions from Passenger Car Works
parts. The Havelock economy baggage cars were built from 1951-1953 and a few
lasted into the BN era.

I built the barrel car and horse car for my cars certificate as part of the
NMRA Achievement Program. Because both were retired or rebuilt at an early
date, I didn't think there would be much interest in them since few people
model the 1920-30s. They're nice display models, but I won't run them on my
1950 model railroad.

Nelson