RE: [CBQ] Tank Car Color?

To: CB&Q Group <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Tank Car Color?
From: HOL WAGNER <holpennywagner@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:15:39 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1314983741; bh=TmREvzPZly5bQR8OoSs5a0/go+YAseefT3ZDtRYM4ic=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=l9cEIutDd2DoXpC549c0MEQn6LfDa1JpGI498AoQyDmA+246+YvqEyWre9/mKZNC6gvK4i+qCET/X7Z6vcgFUZH9bYeslq3Bfmakn/JHznqH8WlaKeOxOETD1/UG7Pn7
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Nelson:

I'm sitting here looking at the original of the image I had Dave post, and the
background color of the heralds is definitely the same as the adjacent color --
which at this time should be black.  I say "should" because we know -- and it
has been previously discussed on this list -- some of the cars were later
painted mineral red, though I have seen no photographic evidence of this while
the cars still carried their 150000 series numbers.  (Not that it would be easy
to tell in B&W photos.) The two cars closest to the camera in this photo do
appear quite faded, and that is especially evident in the fresh black patch
with newly stenciled data on the lefthand car, 150507.  Note, too, that the
righthand car, 151111, still rides on arch bar trucks and has KC air brakes.
The ban on arch bar trucks in interchange service would not finally take effect
until 1941, and the K brakes would last into the early 1950s.  These two cars,
incidentally, were delivering water to a Creston reservoir during the 1934
drought.  The Associated Press caption on the back of the photo (which I
recently bought on eBay) reads, "Water Comes by Rail to Arid Iowa Community.
Creston, Ia., always had relied on two lakes for its water supply, but the
drought of this summer blotted out the water, as well as blistering the crops.
The Drought Division of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration has taken
over the problem and as its first step is delivering 42 railroad tank cars full
of water daily.  The water is pumped into one of the lakes and thence through
the water system.  The water is hauled from Council Bluffs, Ia., 100 miles
away.  Here is the scene as water was piped into the lake.  The water rates
have jumped to four times the old rate to meet the added expense."  FEMA
strikes again!

Hol