[CBQ] Re: Diesel Fuel (was Drop Steps On Diesels)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Diesel Fuel (was Drop Steps On Diesels)
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 08:41:02 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1313329280; bh=jLjkNM47T3G4x7JdYRZuqF5caoYjumXMHpwVwKVVzKc=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ZU6SQJ1wY0dvEW7vIcmjeQkCoYhXhvOndxxsQmXEQyKJ0o0UPiR+Ud49ZF0lPqzHN++RIj0Rw4j4IujI8RXKtqeakQnVh2v6IT4M8wmsNkI698zSyimxnozvW8ff80rj
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Robert,

I spent a lot of time around La Grange during my career and, to a
lesser extent, around London. I don't know exactly how much diesel
fuel EMD kept on hand, but I would guess around 100,000 gallons.
Their daily demand for diesel fuel in addition to testing new
locomotives, included engine test (at least five test cells),
engineering locomotive test, a five engine stationary power
generation site for durability engine testing, engineering engine
development testing, two shop switcher locomotives (SW1500s at one
time) and equipment testing such as injectors and governors. EMD's
primary heating, steam and air requirements were met by a large coal
fired power plant (it did not generate electricity). Most shop
equipment, such as fork lifts, were either electric battery powered
or propane powered for the large ones.

New locomotives underwent extensive operational load test and some
track testing before delivery. I don't recall the specifics, but I
would estimate at least 8 - 12 hours of loading testing at various
throttle positions. London's fuel requirements were (are) somewhat
less. They do no engine testing and do not have engineering engine
development function (all engine development and testing is still
done at La Grange). Their primary fuel demand is primarily for
locomotive testing. Unless the customer ordered a full fuel tank with
their new locomotives, EMD normally put enough fuel in the tank to
complete testing. I am sure it was a measured amount, but I don't
know what that amount was. When testing was complete, any residual
fuel was left in the tank. I am not aware of any effort to ship a
certain amount of fuel in each tank.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com