[CBQ] Re: Drop Steps On Diesels

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Drop Steps On Diesels
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 08:28:02 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1313242095; bh=TFcvyEJopgt9NbljDQEG+D5whJi6qsU8WygT0P6Qlkc=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=m/CCxzqgM7PbhozU5IYO/0B9SS/FeKCESherXv6W5fkWjVU7M5YuCG91mbGZnITHGkmFmpYKNhCO5SYoydrEXU0mhefBt0gs9mSb/23t3iA6Ryzo+rooA9okkVSqXEqR
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Cy,

$25000 seems a little high. Modern diesel locomotives carry about
4000 gallons of fuel. That would work out to a price of $6.25/gal.
Highway diesel fuel right now in Missouri is about $3.70/gal.
Railroads pay less since their fuel does not include the highway use
tax (off highway), but does include sales tax in most places.
Railroads probably pay closer to $3.00/gal or $12000 per fill up.
Still a lot of money and not something that GE is going to give away.
They are in business to make money, just as the RRs are. By the same
token, RRs don't give away free transportation either.

Because major RRs use so much fuel, they each have fuel departments
that make fuel purchases and hedge to get better prices. Years ago,
BN used to track fuel prices all over their system and would attempt
to fuel up where prices were the lowest. Part of the reason that they
developed fuel tenders was to take advantage of low fuel prices in
specific areas.

We always have to keep in mind that nothing is ever free even if it
is shown that way. Ultimately, the final user pays the price some how.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com