Re: [CBQ] Re: 1958 Broomfield Colorado wreck

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: 1958 Broomfield Colorado wreck
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 18:55:08 -0400 (EDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1309992927; bh=bBSodbJyRaDKAulClAl1iP0NsMz8ELhbvrsEwu6q3Y4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=a4GGbTXZwK5J45Q9in2eq0Z6thoNMEG5yvr53W2Ae4t/44M2SyvH1o3DV+N4INXWvGE9WXgAPC7s6y45rNxjHkapMKn8HCzkRtjBbry8YcPk7vC4LF3KLdnto020oYUn
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
William

I was going to refer you to the ICC website but Norm beat me to it.  I wanted
to read it over to be sure I had my facts correct.

Since the engineer, whose fault the whole thing was, was killed it has to be
the fireman who was continuing to collect his pay...Here's my guess on why.

You will recall that the fireman who was relatively inexperienced and the head
brakeman who was even less so both tried to tell the engineer that he was on
the time of No.30, but the old head engineer never gave a satisfactory answer
to them.  Even the conductor knew what was going on, and warned the engineer,
but took no action until it was too late.

My thinking is that the fireman and head brakeman were disciplined or perhaps
even fired.  The fireman and maybe the head brakeman may have "gotten back" to
work after some time off.  That was a common practice in those days..He may
have even been awarded pay for "time lost" and that was what he was drawing
sometime afterwards...

If memory serves correctly you are the gentlemen who worked as a fireman here
in Lincoln in the early 1940's and submitted you timebook for analysis.  IF
this is so then you wil understand what I mean when I say that "the
intimidation factor" entered greatly into the events that led up to this affair
I was personally involved in a situation here on the Wymore Divison in nineteen
fifty seven which could have resulted in an affair like the Broomfield matter.

In those day no young brakeman or fireman would dare to question an old head
engineer, let  alone take physical action against him......It just wasn't done.
You can talk all you want about the rules which which provided for such action,
but in the culture of theday it just didn't happen

Pete Hedgpeth..former trainman Lincoln and Wymore divisions  1956- 8