Re: [CBQ] Classification lights

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Classification lights
From: "Philip Weibler" <pawnbaw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:18:55 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1308413929; bh=qlQshmSgyLV30nkxaGwsY4vOZJtIV6/X9Sk4xas5kCo=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=WIXdSeaiXHCtPsQ7ufREVEfFmi1A7livumMpB1+ASbA9Qq2RTbxSsQWrkF61tEESsEZB9kCNROYQaaEWVf80diRSTgSPPzhWJjHrvv7qPfIAwdLX8VMtHI/C0idAak0G
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello Ray and All -
Marker lights marked the rear of the train and usually had a (large) red lens
and two (smaller) green lenses.  Markers could be rotated in their brackets to
display green to the rear when a train was in the clear on a siding and the
mainline switch was properly lined.
Classification lights are a whole different story. They had two clear lenses -
one facing ahead, one to the side.  They could not be rotated.  Inside was a
green glass 'flipper-flapper' that could be moved into position with a short
handle on the side of the light.  Regular passenger trains and scheduled
freight trains would have the class lights dark (off) unless the schedule was
being run in sections. Then the class lights would be turned on and display
green ('Section or sections following....").  The last train running on that
schedule would have dark class lights.
White class lights indicated an "Extra", a freight (or passenger) train that
had no schedule in the emloyee operating timetable.  Depending on how a
particular part of the railroad was operated even freight trains that were
known by a number (#76, #99, whatever) would be run as 'extra' trains.
Now for the short answer: locomotive classification lights had clear lenses.
They would be displayed dark, or illuminated white ('extra') or green ('section
or sections following)  I don't know how you could get the green indication on
a model - sounds like a project for an electronic wizard.         PAW