Re: [CBQ] Peoria Interchange Question remote derails

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Peoria Interchange Question remote derails
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 18:53:30 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1299023621; bh=MTV6f2JzG9gKzOQ2kibwxEk5OdHnM8zvCnaq6oDD0mk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=IpMzamhGmTcBrqAGqPxTH2Aw6JvJOMLI1tXeIXpnSB0um7jZ5EgArwT5/wU92K4RHDUc+SF3NmA8jn40IGgjglcoIQXte5k8hlL/nEIRV66aezb3VXejdw0XYD5UCSfm
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Thanks Gerald for the opportunity to seque into something I've often thought
about writing about...Thanks also Bud for bring up the subject..I had marked
your post to "keep as new" for when my "round tuit" came in...well Gerald
brought it along so here's my little tale re "remotely located derails".

Summer 1956 I caught a week's assignment off the Lincoln extra board on the
Sargent (NE) local.  This job originated at Hastings (NE) on a tri weekly
assignment to Sargent, via Aurora (between Lincoln and Grand Island).

We were usually called for about 7:30am at Hastings.  Traveled over what is now
known as the "Giltner Sub)....to Aurora where we woould spend a couple of hours
switching our own train and a couple of grain elevators we would get out of
Aurora, meet our opposing counterpart at Marquette and arrive at Central City
around noon.  After a healthy repast at a local restaurant we would pull up to
the home signal at the manually interlocked crossing of the Union Pacific's
double track main line between Omaha and Cheyenne.

The home signal was located at least one hundred yards south of the actual
crossing and was, of course, always set against the CB&Q.  Just a few yards
north of the home signal was a pipe connected derail whose connecting rods ran
the entire distance, mostly underground, across the UP and to a small metal
building located in the northwest quadrant of the crossing in which was located
the levers to operate the actual "plant".  A similar pipe connected derail was
located an equally extended distance north of the crossing.  It was a "fur
piece" from the control levers located north of the UP to the derail on the
north side of the crossing.  Near the actual crossing were, what I would call,
train detector boxes.  These were metal cases (4 of them IIRC).  One for each
direction on each track.  You would unlock the "lid" on the case and inside was
a "semaphore" arrangement whose position would indicate whether a train was
occupying the circuit on either side of the crossing.

Just as an aside during  my "tenure" on this job I did see some UP steam
engines in active service on freight trains...This was about the last year
steam was active on this part of the UP.

Assuming that, after consulting the boxes and with no UP trains approaching you
would unlock the levers and pull or push said levers which transmitted their
motion to the connecting rods and removed the derails both north and south of
the plant.  When this was done the home signal on the south side would go to
clear...the engineer would whistle off and pull our train across the
interlocking.

On my first trip the "old head" rear brakeman...or maybe it was the conductor
walked up to the levers with me and showed me how to operate the mechanisms.
As our train was pulling across he said...Now whatever you do stay away from
the levers..don't touch anything till our waycar gets beyond the north
derail...It was quite a distance so you had to really watch carefully and not
get "over anxious" or you could put the waycar and perhaps more cars "on the
ground".

After getting proper instructions and walking up to the waycar whatever
trainman had shown me how the thing worked he told a tale of another conductor
who had walked up with a new brakeman..shown him how to operate the plant and
cautioned him about being sure the waycar was over the north derail and then
himself....promptly moved too quickly to restore the plant and threw the derail
under his own waycar....He was probably a long time living that one down.

There was a similar type manual interlocking just east of Auburn (NE) where the
Tecumseh-Nebraska City branch crossed the MOP.  My railfan buddy Jim Christen
and I rode the next to last train over this line in August 1953.  When we
stopped at this crossing the conductor asked me if I wanted to "go up there and
watch him (the head brakeman) operate the plant"...Of course I did and I did,
but I don't remember whether there were derails there or not, but whatever the
arrangment the signals had to be manually operated by a trainman on the ground.

Pete