[CBQ] Michels coal

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Michels coal
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 19:29:56 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1296693025; bh=sSvhf+En8dfTzexol6p0t7LezMLWO9vO1gcdfRdAcDg=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:x-aol-global-disposition:X-SPAM-FLAG:X-AOL-SCOLL-SCORE:X-AOL-SCOLL-URL_COUNT:X-AOL-REROUTE:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=azmemro1yKx8SRT9xOBV5e/tqCGxMH2ik2LPZX7BmFerm++Bz7hJ8BQzBLOStgmIBtsnjqKuOcA1V/9SyH/HcvqEOjEw8VfuMXDbyf0kxj7VX3OZFqdA5eYh0vWwVvVN
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rory,

Michels coal as well as Rausch coal were switched by one of the Aurora
engines. They were side by side just north of Spring St. As I recall Michels
office was at the NW corner of Spring and Lincoln. Rausch office was on
Lincoln  near New York St. They had a little area there for small purchases
from
bins.

The coal cars came off the main at the switch off main 3 at the end of
Grove St along Lincoln Ave. The track was parallel to the main on the South
(east side). South being the RR designation and east the geographic direction.
 The track was on top of the elevation. The track ran all the way past
Spring St at one time. The cars were spotted and the bottom doors  opened.The
coal slid down the emabankment to the desired area. The embankment in  the
coal unloading area was lined with timbers to help the coal along. You could
still see them up until just a few years ago.

The Aurora switrch engines(3 per day) served many frt customers all over
the center part of town as well as doing much company material work,coal for
the  power plants,spotting the shops,etc,etc.

Accodring to an interview w/Al Spencer I did in 1982 he recalled Michels
and Rausch having as many as 18 cars on spot well into the 50s. Al's
seniority  date was 1932. He worked only the Aurora/Eola teminal until he
retired in
the  late 70s. I hope to share more of the interview in an article I am
currently  working on.

My family bought coal from Rausch until the very late 50s or early  60s

Leo Phillipp.

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com