[CBQ] Q Baldwin VO-1000

To: CBQ <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Q Baldwin VO-1000
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:33:00 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1296149662; bh=pHO5NOAz1LmCBOthlAHLB6BRulFDQm6OvRhzZkHZfNI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Rr8eDi95SfghLjj+RBFKoYgcLUhw54fR2nhuLJxGFAR0acHAL44EIbL2WCx6Gm5IFGcyf2Q0sS9yuPDgzmMKDxromo1vot+ZHNPZ5jKBOtxQ20zWfmF7sK+JI3L7Gb7r
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I had asked an earlier question on Q Baldwin VO-1000s, based on the
photos of #9352 in the BRHS photo gallery.   I did get several answers
on the exhaust stacks, but my biggest question is on the paint scheme.
  By the look of the B&W photos, these were builders photos taken at
Baldwin in 1943.   The paint scheme appears to be all black with white
lettering and the Burlington Route emblem on the cab side, apparently
with white lettering enclosed by a square bordered by white and
another color, possibly red outside the white.   The hood has both
"Everywhere West" and "Way of the Zephyrs" in white.

As the hood has 11 sets of louvers above the doors, this was an
earlier phase of the second carbody type, delivered in Nov-Dec 1943.
I assume that the four exhaust stacks were installed by the railroad,
as these units came from Baldwin with the single stack ahead of the
cab.   As these appear to be builders photos, was the paint scheme as
applied by Baldwin actually used in service?   If so, was this a
typical scheme for switchers at that time, such as the NWs, SWs, and
Alco S2s?  The Q had 6 SWs and 2 NWs from 1939 or earlier and 9 Alco
S-2s from 1943-44.

When did the "blackbird" scheme begin to be applied to switchers?   If
this all-black scheme with white lettering was used in service, how
long did it continue on switchers?   I am planning on using this
scheme on a Stewart HO Baldwin VO-1000 model, as it appears quite
unique.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com