RE: [CBQ] Frisco (SL-SF) Units on the Q

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Frisco (SL-SF) Units on the Q
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:25:18 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1293744325; bh=4MBk0DyHvMyFTublEr9aaYwH62rgvEClJK/25GVUnxI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=tO3DI2EKa2dI9vyepH+H1It7pXu8eOjen7K1Qp8+UI6bSSE9t5eb+LDvItzuZoReKPV13DM9eTE/juP/CUqgSddClexb+g1eH4cws11MikUunmq5zRknF4M26UbAnL+I
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have no idea what was the cause of this specific lash-up but in the 60's/70's
there would be occasional 'mileage equalization' moves where if for some odd
reason one road's power ended up running on another road due to power
shortages, miscommunication, repositioning, rerouting due to floods, etc. the
first RR could have the other run some mileage on it in return.  I also recall
moves of special trains (circus, federal gov't, etc) that caused foreign power
to travel to places it otherwise would never travel.  (this all of course
before the days of pooling, run-thru,  hours rather than mileage, etc were the
norm).  One such lash up that I especially recall was CB&Q power on the Milw in
the mid-late 50's around Dubuque as was part of a national AAR display train of
such things as mechanical reefers, etc. (sorry I was too young to even have a
Kodak Instamatic!  I do remember though  how cold that reefer was in a day when
some people still had ice boxes in their homes & no one had A/C)

One thought about this Frisco/Q event - recall Menk was a former Q and SL-SF
Pres and like any CEO, "experiments" could be made as he prepared to head BN.

Gerald