RE: [CBQ] Request for Assistance

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Request for Assistance
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 07:46:21 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1293025588; bh=sWHm+fPL+UCoJ8Vmb9l8+0S+mDxxIOa6/laIT+E/0P4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=eaPNwAqYkgF64rPAh9VjQeAfizSueTKyEM3aehXJNEd2VwdVrwX29AQfPxJGwtvhp4Nd/gf3xp21SZP/ACfZYK8Hrnave888Q+dlwDMRfGkoaTCUJS0Xunt8M2wTu09w
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Welcome aboard Tom and we hope your family ties to the Burlington will make you
an active member of our group.  There is no better source of CB&Q information!

An Employee Timetable, usually white, is for employees only as opposed to the
'public' timetables that RR's gave to customers, usually colored covers
(Burlington were wine red with black/white border & lettering from 1890's to
1960s when the last few trs had full color covers).  A Public will list General
Passenger Agents or just the addresses but this is for major cities only An Emp
TT lists some principal employees on each Division (geographic area of a RR)
but these are the Div Superintendent, Trainmasters & Company Doctors, not
Agents or train crew members.  Thus neither public nor Employee will help you.

Your great grandfather would have been a member of the Brotherhood of
Telegraphers thus their magazine (RR Telegrapher) and old records from the
union would have his name.  I'm not sure if the BRAC (Brotherhood of Railroad &
Airline Clerks after union mergers in the 60's and 70's) has such records (or
even what the current name is for BRAC).

Googling old newspapers from Crete might show his name in local stories as
being the Agent in a town in those days was a premier job and your great
grandfather would have been one of the pillars of local life.  Some CB&Q fans
are serious authors and the one that comes to mind for Nebraska is Al Holck who
has written several books on the CB&Q including one on a Division in Nebraska.
he does not use email so I'll call him this weekend and see if he has you
relative's name in his files (he often visits the Nebraska State Historical
Society)

This list has well over a 1000 members so perhaps too one may have some old
family records that include you relartive as being a co-worker of one of their
relatives.  This can be a long short however as in it's prime the CB&Q had 10's
of 1000's of Emp's.

Some CB&Q Emp records, stored @ the Crook Brother Warehouse in Chicago were
saved by the Nat. RR Museum in Green Bay (long story)  You might contact them
but I'm not sure how far back those records went; may have been mostly who was
on the roster at merger in 1970.  (a LOT of 3" x 5" index cards)

Season's greetings to you & your family too!

Gerald Edgar