[CBQ] Interchanges & Code Words

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Interchanges & Code Words
From: Gerald Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 06:37:43 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1293021472; bh=TcOjs6r9txE4+d1VAsTZUJIIMoBJXZgzFxKZsSkPVk4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=L9p1bbKyBERHbXG8fg8sje0+eKaaZ67WKfhUdkOGr/uny231BGmOiFhAhvMmo3Ph8MhHKilDtMVNd6WkfgN6lEimcUME6a6v1lFsaD+yBL5MtB5necDpb5V2oLtMsZMc
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
First, my quiz question as to which RR, per CB&Q's "Distribution Chart" booklet
eff. "40 into the 50's, had the most active interchanges (i.e. some points had
physical connections but were NOT used as a point to interchange freight cars
with each other; this is still true todays as RR's route traffic to fit their
traffic patterns, schedules and division of rates).  There were 112 such roads
in the era many of us model or have an interest in ranging from the Hooppole,
Yorktown & Tampico to Union Pacific

The amazing thing was that all the respondents had the same answer AND all were
correct: Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific with 38 interchange points.  I kept
them a little 'off' as to what the answer would be til everyone had a chance to
respond.  The winner (1st one to respond with CRI&P) was Louis Zadnichek but he
commented that if he did win, he did not need the 1960 CB&Q or C&S/FtW&D TT and
to to give to someone else.  Anyone need one?  Will mail to you courtesy of
Louis.

An argument could be made for Chicago & North Western but it's affiliate,
Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha (CMO for short), was not leased by C&NW
til "57 & formally merged in 1972.  C&NW had 31 points, CMO had 9 for a total
of 40.  However here is the surprise (to me anyway).  I would have guessed, off
the top of my head, Rock, C&NW or Milw (32) as having the most active
interchange points but in reality, second only to the Rock & tied with Milw
also at 32 was the Wabash!  How many of us consider the Wabash when we think of
Burlington competitors, putting appropriate cars in our model consists, etc?  I
suspect Archie being a Missourian is more aware of the Wabash than the rest of
us but they also had 10 points in Illinois, 10 in Iowa, 2 in Nebraska plus the
10 in Missouri.

Friday, for Christmas, I'll give you the list of all 109 Interchanging RR's as
well as the "List of indirect connection cars that frequently show up on our
lines" (such as the Akron, Canton & Youngstown thru to the Yazoo & Mississippi
Valley; 126 in all).  Yes, there were a LOT more RR's in 'the day'.

Lastly I'll list the code words used by Car Distributors & Agent/Operators as a
shorthand to designate a 36' system stock car (SCOOP) vs. "May we use system
equipment?" (TWIST) as well as gateway cities where traffic bound for Eastern,
Northern, Northwestern, Western, South & Southwestern and Souther &
Southeastern were to routed if at all possible.
So if you model Zearing in Q coal country, it was also one of 10 points for
Eastern loading but NOT South & Southeastern.

Now get out & finish shopping!

Gerald

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com