RE: [CBQ] New Athearn 40 ft box cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] New Athearn 40 ft box cars
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 12:09:09 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1292346600; bh=u/t+FzUkCm+Q9S+VajtKrw8NtT10fkKa4LEQYbO6QwA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:Importance:X-MimeOLE:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=jhJjMKzvMg/d3xBliLDk+ZJzrw0RKPWUqgR+13rofTyNjVVmhWJa4xMttuuWioDxAfUHX6+ELFI+jKWBuSw5jxiKTPAwCPSSF6uDcbajcDcNzabEFGDszVifAW2lWlzH
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi John,

The Grand Junction, IA that I am familiar with was the junction of the
Chicago to Omaha line of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad (now Union
Pacific) and the joint Minneapolis & St. Louis / Chicago, Rock Island &
Pacific line from Des Moines to Gowrie and not the CB&Q.

I found the following on the C&NW Historical Society web site (
http://www.cnwhs.org/ch_cnw.htm):

"1862 The Cedar Rapids & Missouri River RR., headed by John Blair, continues
building across Iowa, hoping to reach Council Bluffs. Blair leases the CR&MR
to the G&CU, providing the Chicago company with what will eventually become
a mainline portion of a transcontinental railroad."
"1867 The CR&MR reaches Council Bluffs."

A map of the M&StL line is here: http://www.cashgroth.com/mstlmaps.html, but
I could not find any construction dates.

A map of the CRI&P line is here:
http://www.rits.org/www/histories/TTS37/system.gif
<http://www.cashgroth.com/mstlmaps.html> , but I could not find any
construction dates.

I hope this at least gives some direction.

Dave Lotz
Pooler, GA