Re: [CBQ] Livestock Pens at Oregon, IL

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Livestock Pens at Oregon, IL
From: sartherdj@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 19:26:42 EST
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1291681637; bh=PrqX6o/ZrnyHagli2txHVB/yeoDd8h8WunBNc/8MPL8=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-AOL-IP:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=o8teQcv4CHwVR15UAcSuQmGeF95BMEVILg+eKYBG6TZyTZiAdraijdHRuvt+xOcl6qnERO+MdhChIXIe3jZx+g7mqzobAe31xSb2y7HXiCZVpUovYDsMU2L0bHbHSWfL
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve,

Sorry for my delayed response.  Many  thanks for the very interesting
description and your  recollections of what happened at the Oregon, IL stock
pens
and  yard.   Like so many modelers I wish I could flash back to that mid
50's- 60's era to photograph events, take notes and make some measured
sketches.  But not having that ability I am thankful that guys like  yourself,
who were on the front lines of the "Q" operations, are around and  willing to
share your knowledge and recollections.

Thanks,  Dave Sarther      Tucson, AZ
_sartherdj@aol.com_ (mailto:sartherdj@aol.com)

Dave
In the movement of livestock I would bet Oregon only had one chute  to
load/unload into the six pens.

Feeder calves (18 months old)  would move in from the open ranges out west
during
the fall to clean up crop  lands. These would then move back out in the
spring
or when finished to  market. When did Swift open the plant in Rochelle?
This
was a beef slaughter  house similar to the Hog Plant in Monmouth ran by
Wilson
in the 80's(they  had a couple old reefers used for storage)
Finished livestock would have  moved from Oregon to Chicago markets. Oregon
had
the Carnation plant so  there was dairy in the area with the bull calves
fed out
for beef along with  the imported beef feeders.

Feeder lambs would move in a similar time  frame with a lot finished for
the
Spring (Easter) Market times and again  moved to Chicago markets.

The track being 10 cars long would have been  used for storage if no stock
cars
were on it for loading
As for the end  of movement it would depend on trucking taking over. This
is
what killed the  rail movement as the livestock would move direct from farm
market. I did  set some cars out in the depot at Aurora in the fall of '73
because the  train would not fit. The switch engine was in the Hill Yard
and
came up on  to the cars in the depot and shoved them down to the Stock yard
in
Montgomery. By then they were far and few between. A lot depends on the era

you want to model
Steve in  SC

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com