Re: [CBQ] Question Regarding PS-2 Covered Hoppers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Question Regarding PS-2 Covered Hoppers
From: Rich C <rhcdmc@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:03:42 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1291341932; bh=f+pHVnR33Wp6ze2p+fUW+L+PVru8EDodxOwA9Sg6N8g=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:Received:Received:Received:DKIM-Signature:Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:X-eGroups-Approved-By:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=C4zItcU0n95MFB1DPLyIW5YqaZfew2QRpEteyBo186O4bCjPe3rMNjqoR23lxWoxHkO3TvAU/5qYBsQ/JC50t3F69/IuWhsMYicdI42QLLVnbtBCfjHE17r5w9VHjmw8
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1291341923; bh=be07D23f1tSipnJmwMSjbwaR3j90RZybVCwhPQbL8JA=; h=Received:Received:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:Date:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:Subject:X-Yahoo-Group-Post:X-Yahoo-Profile:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-YGroups-SubInfo:Sender:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-eGroups-Approved-By:X-eGroups-Auth; b=ixG6Ef8Vx+gmxxSqO5Vn0twRuVh8CTSEq6MMrCrQHPiY///mdLMM5A4a3rYNN/SEFv1HnR6HeZTe7n1N0kPUvQDd1JKNv7lqNtOtPTz9iqQ6qn1NK7XJSO1/9Btdalb0
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mark,

1937 - "Everywhere West" and "Way of the Zephyrs" added, one slogan to one side
of the car.
1966 - Slogans on the hoppers were dropped.

According to diagrams I have the slogans were in the center of the car. I have
not found any informationon on which specific side a particular slogan was used.

The Burlington Route Historical Society had their entire newsletter (No. 20)
devoted to covered hoppers, by Wagner. Many photos were in color. The first
covered hoppers built in 1940 were in mineral red, with white lettering and a
white-on-black herald.
In 1958, with the change to the large "Burlington," there was a variety of
covered hopper schemes. In September/October of that year, the body of the
ACF-twin type cars was mineral red (not Chinese red) with white lettering. The
herald was just white on the body color. For the next 250 cars in October, a
full-color (white on black with a caboose red border) Scotchlite herald was
used, on a letterboard between a pair of ribs, and the trucks were painted
black. An experimental scheme at that time, very limited in number, was a black
body and smaller full-color Scotchlite herald. (Black was also applied to 15
70-ton PS-2's in 1965.) Finally, these cars went to gray with red lettering in
1961, even though that had been used on the other covered hoppers since 1958.

Rich Christie