[CBQ] Re:Westmont IL question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Westmont IL question
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:34:42 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1291077315; bh=svzcxEcjUxrmVFLjpzHRh+3JnBLymkbRY8UY7O3o3rk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=h5yK2lfnGclol/j8HzHKopEbv7WKyzkhx9rVHaGj8Pr/tVuchAEgDyhpMDR2meYL27CigA5QIOT5GQcbu/e3+EzUmvqbyUKNtSUGisSqIlfAvgxpvM3EfFnzz50JPxbF
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mike,

I am not certain as to the purpose of the small shelter, but my
recollection is that it did not exist during the mid '50s and
earlier. The photo is dated 1/26/66, so it apparently was built in
the late '50s or early '60s. My guess is that it is/was a storage
building for station equipment including snow removal machinery and
other maintenance equipment. The station was not all that large and
may not have had room for such equipment. As I recall, the Q had some
machines at some stations that had large rotating angled brushes that
could sweep snow or debris from the station platforms. There may also
have been salt and sand stored in the building for treating the
walkways when ice and snow was present. I believe the building only
had two doors that faced the track as shown. The window on the east
side appears to be blanked off. It obviously wasn't for storing
baggage carts as one is standing under the shelter in the photo.

List member, Bob Campbell, who worked commuter service for many
years, says they also kept a Fairmount track speeder in the building.
There were grooves in the platform pavement caused by moving the
speeder from the building to the track. Also, note that the train is
a two car dinky running power from the no. 2 main generator. At that
time, the cars were steam heated. Of course, cab car no. 794 was less
than a year old when the photo was taken. Push Pull was a new thing
on the Q. Great photo with lots of interesting detail.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com