Re: [CBQ] Thanksgiving! (and tugboats)

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Thanksgiving! (and tugboats)
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 16:23:31 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1290637415; bh=wkMyNcrHfWIZTja8M7V7Cmd4VUyaRO4NOwf7kAuPVjM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=noEceSFhWG4GDmO5af+iVvQLeNC/idqJnBBe1jDSvrbfK4QlEYkGtO1wgwsV80G4LQteHrH6tlfL0sCHA6Gq55EiLaSVTUeISw5ilqdplUS1qlE9NRmV1OhibUoHKxW4
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Gerald-

I did run across a Chicago Tribune story about the Erie Carfloat operation; I
am not sure that any other railroads had such equipment in Chicago.   The Erie
had an isolated  yard (no rail connection!) and freight house on the North
Branch of the Chicago River and brought cars up from their main freighthous on
the South Branch.
They had a Gas Mechanical 0-4-0 Switcher stationed at the North Branch
facility.   My guess is that they had enough LCL traffic coming from Sears,
Mongomery Wards,
etc. and maybe some steel business to warrant the operation of a tug and
carfloats on the Chicago River for such a short distance.   Given the
alternative routing around Chicago over several roads to get to the same area
it probably cut a day or two off the delivery time.  The Erie T&HS had a two
part bulletin story on the operation.

Charlie Vlk

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com