Re: [CBQ] Book on freight ops

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Book on freight ops
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 10:31:14 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1289323883; bh=T2vvRjitx47DchUAd50dcs99NuANoUxtcn4l2AoCeWo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=LCSJFa2pWkTntZZYooLa9P5YAtfpWXN3J0/tdDc0WxnLF+vWmfT74FWMPiSdsEAvnXRrTGd0Kobnomy9p4qf4v9pRXBMjMbZJFgRKLWh8o4HnNmQCLNXoYeeo65VrUGR
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bryan -
You sound as if you're more interested in the later years of the Q with
primarily diesels.   I particularly model diesels of the D&RGW and the Q,
and I have many books on them.   The two questions you need to answer first
are what part of the Q you want to study and model and what time period?
Michael Poor's four-volume set, *Chicago, Burlington & Quincy in Color* is
very comprehensive, and it goes by location.   Alfred Holck's two
volumes *Burlington
Route Color Pictorial *is edited into locomotive types and includes waycars
and facilities - this is one of my favorite Q diesel references.
Corbin/Hardy's *The Burlington in Transition *has been republished by Mile
Post 206 and is more technical data with photos.   I model the C&S and use
Ed Fulcomer's *Colorado & Southern, Southern Division, Color Pictorial* and
Hol Wagner's *The Colorado Road.   *For particular diesel types, I go to
Jeff Fisher's and Mulhearn/Taibi *F Units* and Paul Schnieder's *GM's Geeps*
.

This seems like a lot of expensive books, and it is.   The earlier books are
very technical and have mostly B&W photos.   The books published in the last
15-20 years have more color photos.  If you live near a railroad museum and
library - I volunteer at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden and use
their library often - or if you are near a well-stocked hobby shop with
plenty of books - like Caboose Hobbies here, these are places you can browse
books to choose what you want to buy or borrow.   Here in Denver, we have
the Western History Collection at the central library, which is an amazing
reference source.   You can view their digital photos online at
http://history.denverlibrary.org/images/index.html.   You should know that
these are mostly Colorado images and of earlier railroad subjects, although
some diesel images are available.   They are also B&W.

I will repeat that the BRHS, the *Burlington Bulletins*, and
CBQ@yahoogroups.com are among the best sources to find out more about the Q
and get specific answers for your questions.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com