Re: [CBQ] West Eola Tower

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] West Eola Tower
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 06:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1283088870; bh=i1wamVDS0fMTVAWl+SUG6nBotPiJpwiElJPCMd5qfRc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ghy62aDtiipeu3dPtBtqPVzUGy3Q166HcWo7XkhOs/kzTtp3ZVOfF2wNeVnrELOSTuji1dcg5HoYvvgbBrnjn20PRYUI3T1D7acCNSvxCA0rUyEvNKAShRryTVlMIVtb
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo and Glen
In continued research I got a copy of the Nov. 7, 1913 Railway Age Gazette
pages
for Annual Report CB&Q 59th annual report  Listed under New Work
"A new yard has been built at Eola, Illinois, containing six tracks with a
total
length of about 4,000 feet, together with necessary water and coal stations.
    The existing third track from Chicago to Belmont, Illinois is being
extended
to Aurora and the completion of automatic block signals covering this trackage
has been authorized and the work is now under way."
I would refer to the Elevation  article in Bulletin 46  the earth work and
creek
relocation with resulting track relocation resulted in the plant also being
relocated.  Eola Yard was expanded at that time to dislodge the freight (??)
Operations in the downtown yard by the shops.(p. 16) Photo on top of page 31
was
taken from the gas holders(Coal Gas) made on the corner of North Ave and River
Street the West or South Aurora Depot sat just to the left of the photo
site(See
map on page 10-11) Tower was relocated to the River Street overpass at the foot
of the hill by the old Richard -Wilcox Factory right where the C&I-Mainline
Split is.(the only photo we found was from the paper and not reproducible)
The truncated Wye off the Mainline on the map was the old Ottawa, Oswego and
Fox
Valley line from Streator to Geneva and would head north just west of South
Lake
St on map(  This was used to turn the pushers in the era of little engines)

This map also shows what Leo and I have been talking about in that the line
could have went straight across the Fox River and followed the alignment of the
trackage on Middle Ave hit the (Freight) Depot on River Street and continued
south to the South Aurora Split.

Research:  Wading in the creek turning over the rocks and sometimes falling in
over your head
See you guys in Geneva

Steve in SC