[CBQ] Re: Gasoline motor car 1905

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Gasoline motor car 1905
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:24:08 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1281709459; bh=/XKZlOoWec7jUo7szZlT8NPkmPrxH+vvkDItqprhF4M=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=lLR94l646YaHkeeuEwqp/kK4tHzLUIAUii/4qs2WQ/WhifjyYqPa06MJ+ulcz1UyGXpj+0o1l+zTTDPm3lAMmA5erS4NbnWSbkWGOb4laKF7VlO9uikQdcnlOIQpM0nS
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve,

The primary reason for the instability of the Areotrain was the
prevalence of 39 foot jointed rail at the time. The staggered joints
caused alternating impacts to the single wheels at the four corners
of the cars. The four wheel truck on the Zephyrs cushioned and
dampened those impacts within the truck assembly rather than transmit
it to the carbody. the later common use of welded rail would have
considerably improved the ride. Keep in mind that Europe used four
wheel cars for many years, but their rail joints aren't staggered.
The wheels on both sides of the car hit the joint at the same time
making it more like a minor bump rather than an alternating impact.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com