RE: [CBQ] 2-8-2: flood duty

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] 2-8-2: flood duty
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:56:38 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1278885457; bh=2C3FhVuCM64zTFGastc/WhUh1wNyfO2Banv59BtSlXs=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=MhmDTDyifpFFmpVAg7pxWODb3+9p71WHJApMR0hLFMxGyTuoKgeDSgeJxk4jxvQRdVVbZNEXmCI3rDHfnk3QgcEuCEQUd3Lg3jmJusucod2BaagzCgrzN1Aqg3I9nao6
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
You're right Bill!  The Burlington used 4960 very effectively for that duty as
steam locos have MUCH higher clearance in water than do diesel-electrics with
their low-slung traction motors.  During that great flood, IC did similar
'bridging' with one of their steamers further downstream.  There are certain
finite areas where steam is superior to diesels.  Thank goodness Pres. Murphy
had that steam program and a lot of dedicated Burlington shop personnel!

Gerald