Re: [CBQ] New Q Book ?????

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] New Q Book ?????
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:23:54 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1278797044; bh=tLzxtqSFPCRf+twlMv1T5xE1QMnptUoWNikkH1OXq78=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=WpdcBUr+3lMP1pVO/Enbq9TTewxwJyarzOMdJuYYJ0Z89BHG5sFq6jX43i3GBtqYKS8a4bvbUecODvrut7AuRGFNKLUWJ3HZbrgv5xKEtyI7AgpPuSEsh0wU1PWm7WWC
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ray -
I have a copy I acquired a couple of months ago, and it is not exactly
new.   It is edited by Thomas E. Burg and copyrighted 2005 by Merrill
Publishing, Merrill, WI.   It is softbound and features B&W photos of a wide
range of steam from 4-4-0s and 0-4-0s to 2-10-4s and 4-8-4s.   It does not
include all Q steam, as it does not have the mallets or 0-8-0s.   The book
is set up by class with photos representing each class.

Born in Houghton, MI, Campbell was an avid photographer and collector,
acquiring one of the largest photo collections in the midwest.  He worked in
the insurance and real estate businesses until 1947, when he became the
sales manager and goodwill ambassador for Kalmbach Publications in
Milwaukee.   He traveled the country by train, visiting railroad officials,
hobby shops, manufacturers, and advertising agencies.   He took photos
himself and also traded and purchased photos, acquiring photos of some of
the earlier locos, particularly from A.W. Johnson.   Campbell's collection
features photos of the Q and subsidiary roads, the Milwaukee, and Chicago
steam suburban equipment.   This book features only Q, FW&D, and C&S
engines, but it does include some depot and zephyr shots as well as a couple
of inspection engines.

The photos are well composed, lighted, and focused, showing details for
modelers.   141 photos were selected for this book, mostly unpublished.
They are mostly views of locos with some train shots.   A full right side
view shows #4001 as shrouded for the second Aeolus.   The captions often
include builder info but not usually the date or location of the photo.

For those who model the Q and subsidiaries, such as the C&S, this book is
useful for details.   It includes numerous shots of the bigger road engines
- 4-6-4s, 4-8-4s, 2-10-2s, and 2-10-4s - but it also includes several of the
2-8-0s, 2-6-2s, 4-4-0s into the 1920s, 4-6-0s, 4-4-2s, and 4-6-2s.   More
modern shots of these older locos are quite rare and very useful.

This is nothing like Bernard Corbin's volume on Q steam, but it provides
some good photos of unusual Q steam, especially with photos from the 1920s
and 1930s of 4-4-2s, 4-4-0s, and 4-6-0s.  It has a photo of Class N #590,
Q's only 2-4-2 Columbia, shortly after built in 1895.   Merrill has also
produced photo CDs of Campbell's Milwaukee photos.   This will be a company
to watch for subsequent productions from Campbell's photos.
- John Manion

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com