[CBQ] Re: 2-8-2 and how was it used?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: 2-8-2 and how was it used?
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 23:04:33 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1278475481; bh=MnwJq322J9m3xkK+TAuVAe7LJpjmaHgEnp1mJR2nZwo=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=to+/WiKA1rmhvE2YWVtztouTkOBn3gWMm0z3alREtF+iwFpqVGMZe8u2N+2SMLaK/DwBF/Z+D+N6rKlqUxswexLklfMaxTK48tObfnr+qC8aQzU5Yoo6yjdMKHRHC4rT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Brian,

In addition to the Lines West usage, the Q also used 2-8-2s in
special circumstances when other normally assigned power was not
available or due to some weather situations. There is a published
photo of a O1-a pulling a passenger train out of Chicago during the
severe winter of 1936. I am sure that there are other examples.
Normally, of course, they were used for various freight assignments
and most were not fully equipped with steam lines for train heat,
although, it is possible that some were equipped with the basic
plumbing from the cab to the rear of the tender, but did not have the
visible end connections.

O1-a 4960 carried steam lines during it's fantrip days, but it was
always my impression that those were added at that time. The only
other 2-8-2 that I recall being used for a fantrip, was #4955. I have
no idea whether it had steam lines.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com