[CBQ] Re:Vapor Alertor

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Vapor Alertor
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 10:13:29 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1277997222; bh=xw3tJBE9vA3rauIa1Cni5/mNuSn+l3faIbsib9iEKUw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=LgI6MVEBEZluIpI8pE4/uTDfhoYpNUnTBYg+DIjEY7di8sGBlXBUVGsMws+N3QJFKgATkx85xJY7m7giwOPYu00Fxuc6auwqcK0YfTCAOInT68s9oolSs9Wc0bFFARP4
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ricky,

I believe the Vapor Alertor was a safety device mounted in the cab
that was intended to keep the engineer "alert". There was a button on
the control stand which had to be actuated even few seconds.
Alternatively, if the engineer touched the throttle, brake handles
and other control stand controls, the time out of the alertor would
be reset. If the engineer does not respond after a specified period
of time, the alertor will automatically set the brakes, bringing the
locomotive or train to a stop.

I don't believe that there is anything on the exterior of the
locomotive that would indicate the presence of an alertor.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com