[CBQ] Stock Scales

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Stock Scales
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 07:12:56 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1277043240; bh=ca/AmR2mdix6kibtmNXrznnrGIaE2+9XQOLnrcXMbQY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=eRSMD0j5jYF9j2vclLakoi5slStayBblR+fvjRm87EefIzx3u4/v/4nqiuy//yiHGDLpkaNQDx8SWeCkxQiqDug2ICfzeFY0Boe18fFvkxImXqRQ697pJLtmx+uyRrjk
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Problem is most of my files are in remote storage as we try and build a new
house I am not sure if I have or if a list of stock scales exists but I did
find a letter about the scales dated  Galesburg  Oct. 31, 1958

    "Requests by producers, buyers, and sellers of livestock to use our
stockyards and scales when the movement is via truck are becoming more
frequent, and in each and every case you should not give a shipper or receiver
of livestock permission to use our facilities when movement of livestock is to
be via truck for many and varied reasons principally:
    1. If we give them a permit and do not receive a waiver we are liable for
any act of negligence when they, their vehicle or employee is on our
right-of-way.
    2. If we make a charge for use of our facilities, we will then have to post
the stockyard under the Packers & Stockyards Act.
    3. If we permit use of our yard or facilities without making a charge we
are violating the Elkins Rebate Act in doing something for one that we do not
hold out to do for another.
    4. Of most importance is that we have repeatedly found that not permitting
use of our yards for truck movements has brought us more business than the loss
from those we antagonize by not permitting them to use the facilities.

                                                        J.E. Hamer, Div. Supt."

In a letter to all agents dated Feb. 12 1959  Substitution of Motor Vehicle
Service for Rail Service on Livestock , Carloads.  This allowed a shipment to
be trucked to/from any point on the Q, either by private or contractor trucks.
It provided two new forms one from the departure and one at the receiving agent.
This allowed hogs from the Roseville area to be trucked to Galesburg for
in the month of Nov. 1959 there were 28 cars of hogs shipped via truck to
Galesburg and loaded for movement to New York.  Out of the 28 carloads one went
to NY City, Three to Rochester and the other 24 went to Albany.  All were
shipped with a weight of 27,000 lbs total or an average of 200 lb per
hog(Payment to the shipper would have been made on the weight average at the
receiving end) the hogs were loaded at Galesburg in cars with numbers like (out
of 28 cars for the month) SLSX, one NYC the rest being UP and DRG cars.
December was also loaded in foreign cars and not until Jan before a Q car
number shows up.  This was also just one contractor with the average loading of
135 hogs per car.
So you would not have to have a scale at the stockyard were the livestock was
loaded out.
Steve in SC

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com