[CBQ] Re: SD's and GP's in passenger service?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: SD's and GP's in passenger service?
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 09:51:05 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1272725479; bh=mR2dcRhykq43LzSvM9wOv3HOr7CEepYj8QHvm+Q9kGw=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=PqZvtwHihPeQIKtFEOQpZsDH32neFJ9BuWJMtSja42nuio/8cVWGgtp6o0+X4ygWCTPDuT13Po5aJBFJXjGF4tk7lGC51xTIOu7mD/P+bC1JxVkFSW6EQ9xCiiOPH7ni
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I agree with Charlie. I grew up in Downers Grove a block north of the
commuter yard. I don't think a GP7 ever operated in Q commuter
service. Keep in mind, the first GP7 wasn't even delivered to the Q
until September, 1951. Q was already well into dieselizing the
commuter service by then and would complete the process a year later
in September, 1952. The first double deck cars entered service in
1950. The first diesels in commuter service were E-5s and E-7s and
first appeared coincidentally with the gallery cars . As Charlie
indicates, some of the shovel nose Zephyr units also were used
briefly in commuter service. There is a photo of #9904 sitting on the
DG turntable during that period. I suspect that they were only
assigned to off hour trains. In this same time period, 1950 - 1952,
at least four hudsons were modified with larger electrical generators
and used in commuter service.

Besides the lack of electrical capacity for the commuter service, the
GP7s would also have had a difficult time maintaining rush hour
schedules with their 62:15 gear ratio and their 1500 h.p. engines (E
units had 2000 h.p. or more providing 500 h.p. per traction motor
while the GP7 could only provide 375 h.p.) As E8s and E9s became
available, they were favored for commuter service because their
higher h.p. per motor offered improved acceleration and a quicker
ability to reach track speed. Q's commuter schedules were and are
very demanding.

While the Q had 90 GP7s and 9s and 75 SD7s and 9s equipped with steam
generators, I suspect that they were under utilized in passenger
service. There generally were plenty of E units available and the
productivity of the GP and SD units was probably far more effective
in freight service.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com