[CBQ] Re:Question about the U28B's

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Question about the U28B's
From: "John and Carmen Jacobs" <jccrjacobs@marktwain.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 22:24:34 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1271042738; bh=FETv+3O4NQiqeucyT4onVRSOhVpn6IVM9DfsQE9iAKQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Spam-Status:X-Spam-Level:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=rbqbFDAjXARmnBqhSItUu4exXlOlEyxxcRFdHXP+M7QM+Ho+tMUGVONCcy3EVDYngWYBhGJ9vf1RfzOBh9UQRen2oNVjZXTfNYvu25nwN+I70RNfOZpalf9hAu8i0+oA
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Used to have the old U28b's on the Brookfield Sub, Hannibal Division. Ran
most;y with GP20's, GP30's,U25B's and U30B's. I remember one hot summer night
when I was a kid two U28B's and a U25B stalled on the hill in Palmyra right on
the Sloan street crossing in front of our house. The crew called the Kansas
City line dispatcher and said the second unit was droopoing out account a
ground relay problem. The dispatch said if he could get her up the hill and try
to make it to Lakenan he would borrow a motor off a eastbound for the run west.

The crew started pulling from the stall with all three motors barking when the
middle motor (A U28B) came unglued, belching smoke straight out the stack, all
eight wheels locked up for one second shaking the ground really hard and you
could see a ball of fire shooting thru the engine compartment thru the flapping
hood doors. She immediately picked right back up and continued pulling. They
made the hill without having to cut.

They were pretty worn when they left but they were fun to listen to, you could
hear a freight with U25/28B's in run eight from the time they hit North River
all the way till he was whistling for Woodland westbound thru Palmyra.
Regards
john C. Jacobs

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com