Re: [CBQ] Red Oak to Pacific Junction single track

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Red Oak to Pacific Junction single track
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:23:18 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1268918607; bh=zmer9Bp7qS1yNvHp1cQEBmPw3s6XgMzgD+tV6z6Kx58=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=UjBQQDIKlU6SIEF5DuFB4uQKXZ+1bPgwRquMPQDa8f1qGhOBoP8lfpKxBb1pxMjvx3FpSeHzlc51ICrcjzCGN6qxDfGvBW3Yy0ozl36O+haTSNWSyealNvSMR6kcwFPe
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
See Burlington Bulletin No. 22  "OS Creston"
When CTCed the machine was in the Red Oak Depot.  Later moved to P Jct and
operated by the Operator under direction of the Dispatcher.
I got promoted to Train Dispatcher in Feb of 1974 and worked the Ottumwa Job
off the extra list forced on the Morfidite Swing(work five days never on the
same job and on all three tricks((Third East End, Third Chicago Chief, Third
Ottumwa, First Ottumwa, Second Ottumwa))for two summers. I bumped on second
Ottumwa to go to Galesburg November of '83 and a year or so after the shake out
in the Galesburg Office I owned second trick Ottumwa till the spring of '93
when I got back to second Main Line I got bumped off of in the move to
Galesburg.  The job consisted of Galesburg to Creston double track ABS(rule
251) with islands of CTC (Connett to Burlington((run by op at Burlington
(((BN))) Ottumwa to Lawler Tower((run by op at Ottumwa(((CW))) Maxon to
Halpin((run by op at Albia))  Chariton to Shannon((run by op at
Chariton(((CH))) first trick only)) CTC from Creston(CR) to Red Oak by DS and
CTC Red Oak to P Jct ( run by op at Pacific Jct.  The CTC had just been
 put in Red Oak to Creston in '73 by BN.  The east home signal at Red Oak was
in the middle of Red Oak hill so you could not stop any train with weight on
the hill. You held them back at McPherson.  It was double track P Jct to
Balfour ( with a hill to Balfour) single track to Red Oak with control sidings
at Malvern, Hastings(with branch north and south), Emerson, and McPherson.  Red
Oak had all the branch(north and south) off the siding.  Single track(had been
double track ) to Villisca then the old double track with equilateral turnout
at each end (four total on two sections of double track with single track
between) to Cromwell and double track into Creston with a hand throw crossover
at the East End of CR yard limit.   We use to use the hand throws a lot and
reverse in the Yard Limits both at CW and CR to the CTC at Lawler Tower and End
of Double track Creston.
All the meets use to show up at McPherson or Villisca as we would hold the
trains off Red Oak Hill.  Same with the end of double track at Creston or the
first end of double track.  Management would come around each year and ask what
we wanted for improvements.  We would say put the double track back Red Oak to
Villisca.  So Management connected the sidings Malvern, Hastings, and McPherson
and put in power crossovers in the middle of the two sections of double track.
Meets were still in the same locations, and most DS did not use the new power
crossovers except in emergency.
See you at Streator
Steve
Retired and loving it