[CBQ] What Amtrak could learn from CB&Q

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] What Amtrak could learn from CB&Q
From: Bob Webber <cz17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:08:02 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1265988397; bh=6YW7BMUtHSfApOWZn/8iopGULO04WL0UbmAseMiITBQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=FFW7Hzfu+YrZRPptiC8Up/tuQ9WWwtRH6WyRIwIDjToBNM0SoOvaDZejlmqldqgxkVfWvrEyxooUWqeY5wmimE38eQlc7fJOv1cxMjtPcXG1+3eoFoM3Q9mTiRnD9ioo
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Amtrak did what they had to do in terms of costs.  And it doesn't
hurt their passengers in any way.  You simply contact  the rental car
company and ask them to have a car available for you from (for
example) Denver Union and they'll pick you up and take you to their
"shop" you sign the papers and off you go.  Normally, it's closer
than the "on airport" car rentals (I know there are still a few of
those that are directly across from terminals, but I'm speaking of
places like Denver again).

  If Amtrak had to provide space for car rental companies, they'd
lose money - most places Amtrak is at these days, there is simply no
room for the car agency.  Most  "stations" they use  hardly deserve
the name.  It would be great for them to use classic stations, but it
costs a lot more -and Amtrak's funding has been, to say the least,
short.  Frankly, I'd rather them repair cars than have rental
counters.   It is NOT a perfect world out there, especially for train travel.

At 03:29 AM 2/12/2010, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>4a. Re: What Amtrak could learn from CB&Q
>     Posted by: "cvlk" cvlk@comcast.net n_cbqguy
>     Date: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:18 pm ((PST))
>
>I wanted to rent a car on a trip to Boston on the Lake Shore Limited.
>Not only did I find that AMTRAK doesn't have any rental offices in
>their stations, but to rent a car upon arrival (ten in the evening
>if everything is going well, which it almost never does) you have to
>get a cab to go to Logan Airport because all the rental offices in
>Boston are closed at that hour.
>Stupid, stupid, stupid.
>Charlie Vlk

Bob Webber