[CBQ] Re:Bell Regulations

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Bell Regulations
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:25:07 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1256311519; bh=Y12ngTVkCj0VMkK8bdMlR7gLH5TVDwGu/9lkv4xa818=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=rftKoLngoAbOT2jYBAU4nSb7Ex7XSyLhm6/MvhCVoW4BHAamT1udsBz1BgHerwdHhCWQVfyyFM0o2XCMPdauvCf5Bl+3ZKI5l++NTvMoTZdChakb0Eag+9N2qGt9/1f2
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve,

In general, bells have been manufactured in four different styles.
Early steam locomotives and some later ones, had manually operated
bells.  The bells were mounted on a vertical or angle mounted
bracket. A rope was extended from a crank lever on the bell to the
cab and a crew member pulled the rope to actuate the bell. To some
extend, the operator could affect the ring rate on these bells. For
the most part few diesels were ever equipped with this manual
arrangement except possibly on some very early units.

In the early part of the 20th century, an air actuated piston device
was developed to drive the bell crank automatically. The piston
device was mounted on the bell bracket whether the bracket was
vertical or angle mounted. The ring rate was established by the
piston device and was not adjustable. With this arrangement, the bell
could also be manually operated if desired. Most if not all later Q
steam locomotives had this arrangement and the sound rate was
similar, but not identical to the manually operated rate.

Some later steam locomotives and almost all diesels have stationary
bells ( they do not pivot and can not be manually operated.) These
bells have a clapper that has a built in air operated piston which is
located up inside the bell. Only the clapper moves. This style bell
has a much more rapid ring rate than the earlier arrangements. These
bells can be mounted anywhere on the locomotive (many were behind the
pilot, a standard EMD location), but generally toward the front. The
ring rate can not be adjusted. In more recent years, the standard
diesel bell has been changed from brass to steel which also changed
the tone somewhat.

During the latter part of the 20th century, some diesel locomotives
were equipped with electronic bells which were not bells at all. They
were simply sound generating devices not unlike model RR decoders.
The tone of these bells was rather hollow and not very pleasant. The
rate was also not adjustable. I don't think they are being
manufactured any more.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO