[CBQ] Re: SD 45

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: SD 45
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:09:33 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1250439130; bh=kAjFKqxPbOE8pO160cQSq/x5CTVX1uGmz433rkZzu8I=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=k6m5ygeQPBnuxnlEdNnHJGQpRzGVI1bFyPj8ecBfQYxSLE+V8tdWXIzIaPgfUmRqT29vMbKsMghJKF38dvwixupgXGewunte+7UwOiDsdmThEnpOTz1bwDXZAjSSOeBP
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Byran,

Pre Dash 2 SD45s tended to require more maintenance than later units.
A number experienced crankshaft failures due to failed "A" frame
welds. (The "A" frames are located between each throw and provides
the bearing mounting and support for the crankshaft.) This problem
was finally corrected in the earlier '70s, but by that time, the
SD45's reputation was tarnished.

The maintenance issues were probably one reason that SD45s were
eliminated from the roster somewhat early, but another reason for the
specific timing was more likely the expiration of their leases or
equipment trusts which usually are 15 to 17 years long. Except for
accidents, a financed piece of equipment it general, can't be sold
off or scrapped until it's financial obligation is satisfied. Many
steam locomotives were stored unused by their owners until the leases/
trusts expired.

In the cases of most diesels, they are sold to equipment dealers who
resell or lease them to other RRs. Because of their size, SD45s don't
lend them selves to branchline operation, so their market is somewhat
limited. Wisconsin Central purchased or leased some ex BN Sd and
F45s. MRL in Montana has others.

Of course, by the mid '80s, much newer and more efficient EMD and GE
models were available so technology change was also an incentive.
However, even though the BN disposed of the Q SD45s in 16 years, I am
sure that they had operated millions of miles for Q and BN and had
pulled many ton-miles of freight. Q's early "F" units experienced a
similar fate. Most were purchased during the '40s and were traded in
to EMD and GE in the early to mid '60s, again, primarily due to
technology changes as well as operational changes. The RRs were
moving toward more flexible carbody locomotives by that time.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO