[CBQ] Motor car 507

To: "CBQ List" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Motor car 507
From: "Rupert & Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:39:43 +1200
Cc: "Jason Underwood" <jay611@cox.net>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1250322046; bh=oeIKCsKHUGyeOzF74bFSXIt+o9lswXOAMzopXgvDA6U=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered:X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result:X-IronPort-AV:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Cc:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=NNzwjNuF9OqYt+xeQSye83kVMLoMs7IA1kDF+RtvwcP+Vnb2OsR6oA+eXMSDaJA1AnA8ymLV7BqkREgq4XtiHy+GSwNlGAPf2L/oEGHeIqnKi/zBE6mcUJc98dQxU65S
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
There is a photo taken in May 2009 at Cape Charles, VA, after the Ft Madison,
Farmington & Western auction of restored Buda-Edwards motor car 507 at
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/self_prop3.html

Jason Underwood, who took the photo, kindly sent me these notes -

Bay Coast RR, former Eastern Shore, purchased the car to go along with their
freshly rebuilt Edwards Motor car (dinner) for use in tourist service. I spoke
with one of the operation big wigs, and was told that the car does not run at
this time, however efforts are being made to replace the motor, patch a few
holes, and (gags) install AC units onto the top of the car. It will pretty much
be butchered from what I understood, as well as relettered and painted for the
BCRY scheme.

It is currently sitting in the same location I photographed it, at the Cape
Charles, VA rail yard.

Also just as a note, Dickie Foster is the president of the Bay Coast Railway &
Railroad Operations, and he could be noted as the owner. The Railroad handles
freight, the Railway is the tourist attraction (yet I don't think they get much
business).

Foster thought he could get more people to the eastern shore of VA (since he
owns most of the hotels, resorts and golf clubs over there), if he offered some
sort of a train ride. The Eastern Shore Railroad was up for sale at the time,
and Foster promptly purchased it and began changing it into a tourist line
rather than freight. He bought the GP15-1 No. 400 and added it to the already
rostered GP10's and GP11's, painted in the new "Bay Coast" blue and white
scheme. He placed an order to Edwards Motor Cars for 5 cars, all powered and
air conditioned. Two dinners and three coaches were the plan, and delivery was
to be sometime in 2007. The first car arrived in late 2008 and after a brief
spike in business the motor cars became silent once again as people failed to
find an interest in a motorized trolley ride. Foster thought about getting
steam to the area, and would have made their operation the only steam RR in VA
other than the 3' Crown's at Busch Gardens, however he feels the area is far
too polluted as it is and steam would only add to the already filthy sites his
tourist will see.

Even freight is rare now, moving maybe one train a week.

- Jason Underwood

Does anyone on the List have a connection with the Bay Coast RR who could
answer some questions for me, or perhaps take some more photos for the List ?

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ