[CBQ] CZ "Diner" drawing

To: "PassengerCarList-yahoogroups.com" <PassengerCarList@yahoogroups.com>, "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] CZ "Diner" drawing
From: Bob Webber <cz17@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 11:38:23 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1249749295; bh=x6M9tfiNw+n4l9ryVbv1RVbW6TPhPCKiu5WDtI1W2nc=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-eGroups-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=m7cXkfPhFoZn+TWd02ZgsmW+FoRZa5SgTfWs+rfa4A2x0fJDoH+R79ba8sZLgMqFw3It3OKCBDG4Wc05oCUhFD2BZnyQVBaWkmWr381JZthlMzfxUzqZjuTd4k4eEh7/
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Alan,
Figured to start "clean" here and address both lists's questions.

The drawing definitely states the Plan 9507 - it also uses the word
"diner".  Now...

If you think about it, the 16 section cars were more liable to be
maintained by Pullman (as they were under lease) than the diners.  So
far, the other drawings pertaining to the CZ are actually Pullman -
not Budd drawings.  The one that references both the Plan 9507 AND
"Diner" is a Budd drawing.  The Budd drawings are on paper, and are
all fairly faint / faded.  Some are just huge - even compared to an F
size.  But the Budd drawings are quite different in their layout and
nomenclature than the Pullman ones - simply put, I'm not familiar
with the Budd drawings to extrapolate what the faint reference to
"diners" is - I can make out the car distribution (which, for 16
section cars prior to 1952 was the same as the diners).  I can make
out clearly the Plan number and the job number (which is how Budd
indicated "lots".

My bet, looking at all this is that you are right - 16 section cars
(later, the cars were leased to Pullman and were not on the CZ - when
they came off lease, they were converted into flat tops - but for
some years, they were in GS service for Pullman, as opposed to
assigned to the CZ).   It makes sense that Pullman would maintain
them at this time, given the assigned lease.

Still ploughing through the documents.  There are folders (of
drawings) for ACL cars, L&N baggage cars, AT&SF REGAL & PINE cars and
others.  There are Pullman drawings referencing ACF drawing numbers,
and others referencing Budd drawings.  It's opening up a lot of
interesting tangents.

Bob Webber