[CBQ] Re: Abandoned railroad trestles

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Abandoned railroad trestles
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 22:38:42 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1249529973; bh=Cc1P5jlM5U0Vr4TlDc42wGLpt614WROFgIik+ErM9wg=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=nWI9ANB3BZWyWUJqxM1a65XEhooxMl444IDi/ZtLH06QZRLlAT/gLgsM4tU+udXHLxzt1++OMHCAqTD26Ls6jAX8cGZKJMWcoHxqqJdIS9fzKyeUeFn3hOJxOsMqnb5K
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Not all trestles were torn down on abandon RRs. I am not aware of any
of the trestles on the Rio Grande Southern that were torn down. They
have all just slowly decayed over time. There is a Milwaukee Road
wooden through truss bridge that still serves a prairie path on the
west side of Sequim, WA. The RR was abandon about 1980. Many abandon
steel bridges still exist. The Q bridge across Interstate 35 at
Cameron, MO is still in place, complete with BN emblem. (The bridge
may have been built after the Q.) There is also an abandon steel RR
bridge across 350 highway in south Kansas City. (I don't know what RR
crossed it.) I know there are other examples.

By the way, if the bents are left up, the top stringers are also
probably left. There usually were six of them spaced parallel to each
other. The ties were laid on top of them. With a minimal deck, they
would easily support a semi truck, let alone a standard automobile or
pick up as long as the wheel were on top of the stringers. They were
huge timbers designed to support a locomotive. In most case, it is my
experience that scrap companies didn't bother with timber trestles
unless they were specifically contracted to do so. All they wanted
was the steel. If they took them down, they would most likely burn
them in rural areas.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO