Re: [CBQ] Re: Macomb Switcher

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Macomb Switcher
From: Stan Maddox <stan.maddox@burlingtongulf.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 22:41:01 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1243564859; bh=9W87csFJpSouUCRkkUGAjuwC2ax6ZQ1/DbhgK00DKPA=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:Message-Id:To:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=eFOk3LMMTw0ybJBa60DUSHx13kz1y39RXGWe9A9GKGMSgVbMv2lThJQ4veuhDr+hoSGX1vDhily9MCOaqNQ54cPZeNlcOeEVpAXtDy/78sVMkKXDz7rlMRAmSMskFfL9
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
If you peel away from the CB&Q main and head south on S. Johnson St.
out of Macomb proper past the high school, the old right of way is to
your immediate right and parallels the road for some distance. The
modern power poles are planted smack in the middle of the right of
way. Across the road southwest from the corner of the school stadium
property, there is an unusual small house. It is perfectly round,
sitting on a prominent round foundation. I've always wondered if this
was the old turntable pit wall, but I have not been able to confirm
it. It is the right size for a pit of that era, and seems to be in
the proper location.

There is an excellent story about this road that I read in one of the
texts, I'll try to cull from memory, so please forgive the sparse
details: The MI&L owner/president had to get his livestock to market
in Chicago or he was going to go bust. He had them on his cars, but
the railroad wasn't finished yet, the railhead was still south of
Macomb. The city fathers wouldn't grant permission to continue laying
tracks north up Johnson St. to connect with the CB&Q's predecessor
road, as they thought they had him over a barrel and could extort
more money from him. The local lawman didn't work weekends, so the
MI&L president waited until the weekend and after the law left town,
had his track gang lay track in front of his train and then pull it
up from behind the train, working northward. They managed to creep
right up Johnson St., laying the tracks right in the center of the
street, and temporarily connected to the Chicago main line. The cars
were interchanged, the Chicago main was restored, the process was
reversed southward to get the locomotive back, and all traces of the
project were gone by the time the law returned to town! The sale of
the livestock brought enough income to complete construction.

Stan